Monday, January 9, 2012

our gingerbread house

I got a gingerbread house kit at Ikea.  I was going to buy candy to go on it, but when I realized how expensive it would be to buy numerous bags of candy, I decided to get a little more creative.  We had plenty of old Halloween candy, sprinkles, cereal, and marshmallows at our house already that I was more than happy to get rid of, so all I bought was a bag of candy canes.  We were lucky enough to have Aunts Angie, Nat, and Erin, Uncle Danny, and Lucy to help us make it even more fun. 
There were a lot of stolen candies, a few creative differences, four fallen snowmen, and one crime scene in the back, but eventually we all really came together as a team to create the Best Gingerbread House in the World!
It remained on our dining table as a constant temptation to Gus.  
Eventually, we just let him have it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mary, that house came out great! I tried to do one two years ago. It was just me with my three kids and their cousin. I could not get the icing to hold the house together for anything! Did you have any trouble with that? I also love you idea about using stuff around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justina! I find it really helps to make a cardboard structure under the house so it doesn't fall apart. I also looked up the recipe for the "best gingerbread house icing." I think it was just egg whites and powdered sugar. Not everthing stuck, but it worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete